Wednesday 17 October 2012

Alright, FSJ: You got me.

I've been waiting for this to happen. I have loved everywhere I have ever lived; there's always something to love. In Langley, it was berry farms and lots of animals. In Chilliwack, it was the river, the beginning of a new relationship, and being able to walk everywhere. I loved Vancouver for the lights, the beach, and getting distracted by my favourite dress boutique on the way to the grocery store. I loved New Westminster for the view and nutella and bananas on toast, I loved Burnaby for our ghetto apartment and the proximity to Hastings for its butchers and fantastic produce (and not least for fresh-baked biscuits and watching Glee!). I loved loved LOVED Coquitlam for living with my fantastic boyfriend in an adorable house with a yard, and being close to everything. I loved Dawson Creek for being friendly and compact and surrounded by hills of farms.

Yeah, I've kind of gotten around.

So I was waiting for Fort St John to click. I knew it would happen, but I've been moving so much lately perhaps that it took a little longer.

Finally, finally, it did. I had a good weekend - went to the community centre fish-bowl-of-a-gym (the only community centre I've encountered in the north with reasonable drop-in rates. GAH.), went for lunch to a little coffee shop, wandered around. I had a good day at work on Monday - busy with a care plan meeting for one of 'my' patients, lots of assessments, and lots of finishing up with interventions. I felt productive, which is pretty well my favourite way to feel. As per usual, when I got home I went for a run. There's a running trail here that I hadn't used before, and it's about 5 k - PERFECT. And that, my friends, is when it happened. This is my run (ran it again today with camera in tow.)














If you're not half in love after those pictures, then there's probably something terribly wrong with you. It is GORGEOUS. And I can walk to everything, and it has some cute little shops, and a nice community centre, the people are nice, and it's sunny and lovely even when it's cold. I understand the whole dry vs wet cold thing now; you can walk around when there's snow on the ground wearing a sleeveless shirt. 5-10 degrees up here is reasonably balmy. It's also sort of surrounded by farmland, although it's harder to see it, and it's a bit bigger than Dawson so it's a bit more convenient with a downtown that is more than a couple of blocks.

I could totally live here :-)

Okay, really seriously, next post will be more on hospital-y things. Seriously. I already have pictures and everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment