Wednesday 28 August 2013

So how did it end?

Oh, uh...hey?

Turns out, I'm a terrible blogger. This is no surprise, and I really make no promises to be much better at this, because well, the only readers are likely my friends and family and they can hear me yak ad nauseum whenever they like. But anyway, I realized after post after post about internship, I never really said how it ended.

'She must have failed,' you're probably thinking. 'That's why she hasn't wanted to talk about. That's rather sad.'

WRONG.

Surprised, right?

No, actually, I'm officially an RD(t) these days, which is a fancy few letters after my name that indicate I'm a TEMPORARILY registered dietitian. Temporary because I have to write an exam in November (now THAT I could potentially fail. It has a 97% pass rate, but multiple choice and I are not friends. My odds of being in that 3% are not as low as I'd like. Fortunately, said exam can be written more than once.)

The end of internship ended up segueing into my current job, so time was rather short, although I may post more about it later. I finished my community rotation in Terrace. Turns out I'm great with direct interactions, with a community but ask me something about policy and I'll give you a blank stare and mumble something like 'Blueberries.' Naturally because I'm not very good at half of the job, I'm quite determined to become a community dietitian, although more with the hands-on stuff. Ask my fellow intern, I'm terrible with details.

After that, I came back to PG for my 10 weeks of food service. Anyone who's ever worked in food service will tell you - it's all-consuming. Because I'd already been working in it for over 3 years, they basically gave me a couple projects and free rein. Which was rather smart, actually, because anyone who gets into foodservice sort of has to thrive on being a workaholic, so I came in almost every weekend. Worked out rather well for them, I think, but I loved the staff at the hospital so I had a good time. It did, however, convince me rather strongly that I don't want to be a foodservice dietitian any time soon. It really is all-consuming, you can never 'just leave'. I like it and I thrive on the busy, but it's not a lifestyle I would choose for myself long time. A mat leave? TOTES. Forevers? Non, merci. I did learn how to make a good bechamel, roasted veggie salad, and a bunch of other things since my project was basically trying to cook every item on the new menu and see how it turned out or if there were any huge goofs. I <3 cooks and chefs everywhere. They know how to do EVERYTHING. And I love having a little bit of foodservice in my life - I love the people. You may not even realize how much of a rum go food service and housekeeping staff get. They're treated like GARBAGE by so many health care staff that it makes me absolutely furious. I love it when someone comments on their lack of education too - I've worked with multiple dietary aides with degrees (even a couple with masters). Seriously, if you've got kids at home, it's a job with funny hours that might work well with your hubby's, and the pay isn't bad. What I'm really saying is, DON'T HATE ON FOODSERVICE OR FOODSERVICE STAFF. I'll punch you in the jeans, I swear. The job isn't glamorous, but it's crucial. (Besides, what's the point of being educated if you're a nose-in-the-air little snot, anyway?)

The glories of being in the north mean I was hired for a full-time job two months before internship ended, and actually had to pick between it and two others. The two jobs I didn't take were clinical - and would have been fab, don't get me wrong. I actually took a 1 year contract job putting in dietary software across Northern Health. Why, you ask? My job title is actually food service supervisor - same as my job in Fraser Health (pays the same though, and the job is generally done by dietitians, but they'd never have gotten enough of them up here.) It's actually a sweet move as far as I'm concerned - I get to travel all across northern BC - I decided all the bouncing around I did during internship was insufficient. And now I get PAID to do it - paid the same as a clinical dietitian, so hooray! I'm also a casual clinical RD at the hospital too, usually 1-2 mornings/ week over the summer. Did I mention my boss is my awesome internship coordinator and that we have flexible schedules? Don't be embarrassed at your jealousy, I'd be jealous of me too. Of course, this means I'll have to hunt for another job in a year, but considering there are 4 mat leaves coming up in January, I have a feeling something will turn up.

Now then, what's a blog post without my poor attempts at photography?

Summer in PG is  a time to be outside - we went hiking almost every weekend up until August (when it got too hot, we're talking 30 degrees every day, light out until 11:00, and unlike the lower mainland, it does NOT cool down in the evenings.)

Here are some pictures from Teapot Mountain - just a short hike, only about 1.5 km each way, but that first km is straight up. I did it wearing Skechers, which was fine until we had to come back down. Proceeded to buy my first pair of hiking shoes that same week.











HUGE anthill.



What does one do after hiking? You go to a historical farm and eat pie. Duh. These pictures are all from the Huble Homestead.
















That would be a kildeer. There were actually signs basically warning us of its ruthlessness.







Note the lack of snow in these pictures! I think this was actually back in June-ish already, and NOT A TRACE. So there, all of you who are like 'OMG POLAR BEARS AND IGLOOS.'

And no, the name of this post does not indicate this blog is over. Now that I"m not playing outside all the time, I may actually start blogging again. Or not. We'll see!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you keep it up! It is nice to see what shenanigans you are getting up to.

    ReplyDelete